Sunday, April 3, 2011

Malbec Blues

During a trip to Argentina, I developed a fondness for Malbec. The peppery taste complemented so many Argentinian foods especially the wonderfully seasoned beef served in their restaurants. Now known as an Argentine varietal, Malbec is one of the six grapes allowed in the blend of red Bordeaux wine. It is becoming increasingly common in U.S. wine stores but during my visit, the exchange rate was so favorable, I wanted to buy the whole store. To give you an idea, the prices in the photo are in Argentine Pesos. The exchange rate for 7 Pesos equals about $1.75 US. Can you spell "sea container?" Unfortunately, I only managed about 3 bottles in my suitcase.

Sadly, this was a business trip with no opportunity to visit the growing areas for these wonderful grapes. Perhaps in another life.

1 comment:

  1. If you go, take me with you! Father/daughter bonding time!

    ReplyDelete